Special Event Grant Application
a] Audience Development (Events/Festivals) funds will only be awarded for non-local advertising and promotions to generate visitors
b] Sponsorships/Enticements (Meetings/Conventions/Tournaments) funds will be awarded for general sponsorships to entice groups to hold meetings in Devils Lake that would not otherwise be occurring in Devils Lake
[Four] grant levels are available at this time; applicant must apply for the grant module for which they qualify to request funding.
Level 1 – up to $500: for 1-day events that attract visitors with projections of no motel room bookings. The Devils Lake CVB will provide in-kind advertising, i.e. radio mentions, website, press releases, on behalf of the event/festival/tournament.
Level 2 – up to $750: for 1-day events that attract visitors with projections of booking 10-15 motel rooms. The Devils Lake CVB will provide in-kind advertising, i.e. radio mentions, website, press releases, on behalf of the event/festival/tournament.
Level 3 – up to $1,500: for 1-day events that attract visitors w16+ motel rooms; or events that bring in tour buses. The Devils Lake CVB will provide in-kind advertising, i.e. radio mentions, website, press releases, on behalf of the event/festival/tournament.
Level 4* – up to $3,000: for events that are held over a period of 2 or more days with booking equaling 50 or more motel rooms nights. The Devils Lake CVB will provide in-kind advertising, i.e. radio mentions, website, press releases, on behalf of the event/festival/tournament.
*At this level, additional consideration may be given.
Organizations seeking DLCVB funds for their tourism related event may apply at any time during the year but should be received at least 90 days before the event; however, applications are only reviewed on a quarterly basis. They will be reviewed in the March, June, September and December meetings. Applications must be for events taking place at least one month following the application deadline.
- The event must be held within 8 miles of the Devils Lake city limits.
- Event must be open to the general public and cannot promote any political party or platform.
- Marketing/promotional materials that can include event sponsor logos/website links must reference Devils Lake CVBs website (www.devilslakend.com) and/or include the official Devils Lake CVB logo. See logo requirements.
- A completed application and questionnaire with required documents (sponsorship solicitation information and event budget) must be submitted to the Devils Lake CVB.
- The Visitor Committee will review applications and will vote and award grants at their discretion.
- A grant may be awarded for less than the amount requested, depending on the number of applications received and other factors affecting grant funding. The annual budget for the Special Events Grant Program is determined by the Visitor Committee and the Devils Lake Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.
- The applicant may be asked to appear before the Visitors Committee and make a presentation about the event.
- The organization must provide proof of liability insurance.
- It should not be presumed that any applicant will be awarded a grant on an annual basis, nor should the availability of these grant funds be considered part of the applicant’s annual budget.
- If at any time projects are not being performed within the scope of the approved application and terms of this program, the subject grant will be cancelled, and NO funds will be issued by the Devils Lake CVB.
- Within 60 days following the event, applicant must provide a final report to the Devils Lake Area Convention & Visitors Bureau and include the following:
- § Itemized list of expenses with copies of paid invoices
- § A summary of the event along with photo(s)
- § Estimated attendance, motel rooms booked and any other traceable information
- Grant funding is awarded on a reimbursement basis. Funds will be disbursed after the event, once the final report has been submitted and reviewed by the Visitors Committee. Reimbursement requests must be for actual event expenditures and are not to exceed award amount.
Event website and printed materials must contain following logo. Any website links must contain this hyperlink: https://www.devilslakend.com
Logo files can be obtained through the Devils Lake Area Convention and Visitors Bureau by emailing Suzie Kenner at email@example.com.
March 1 | June 1 | September 1 | December 1
HOW TO APPLY
Step 1: Review the Guidelines
Before starting the application process, review the details and guidelines for the grant.
Step 2: Discuss the Potential Grant Project
Schedule a meeting with the Devils Lake CVB, to go over the project details and make sure it is a good fit, before moving forward with the application process.
Step 3: Complete Online Grant Application
Please be aware, grants are reviewed quarterly. Deadlines are March 1, June 1, September 1 and December 1.
Step 4: Review Process
All grant applications will be reviewed based on tourism and operational criteria by the Devils Lake Visitors Committee. During this process, you may be contacted for more information.
Step 5: Grant Decisions are Made
You will be notified by email if your organization received funding, or if funding has been denied.
Need more help?
Contact our office at  662-4957.
Funding Point System
Funding will be made according to evaluation of questions and requested documentation using the following point system. Therefore, it is highly recommended you answer each question and provide all necessary documentation - sponsorship solicitation information and event budget.
Point System for New Event
Total possible points = 50
- 0-19 points = Zero funding
- 20-35 points = Possibility of partial funding
- 36-50 points = Committee will make funding recommendations according to budget
Point System for Event in its 2nd Year & Beyond
Total points possible = 65
- 0-24 points = Zero funding
- 25-40 points = Possibility of partial funding
- 41-65 points = Committee will make funding recommendation according to budget