Tourism Development Grant Application
Please ensure you have enough time to complete the form in one setting as there is not a way to save your progress.
GENERAL FUNDING CONSIDERATIONS
The Devils Lake CVB accepts grant applications for costs related to the tourism development of Ramsey County visitor attractions and amenities, in accordance with the North Dakota State Century Code 40-57.3
Projects that are funded under this program include:
- New capital construction projects
- Upgrades, enhancements, expansions to existing facilities
- Permanent exhibit installations
When considering an application to the Devils Lake Tourism Development Fund, the Devils Lake Visitors Committee ranks applications on the following criteria:
TOURISM IMPACT CRITERIA
- Is this project consistent with the Devils Lake CVB priorities and objectives or does it support the area brand?
- Will it serve a substantial number of overnight visitors? Will it generate hotel room nights? How many?
- Is the project interactive? Is it unique? What type of experience does it provide for the visitor?
- Is this a new visitor attraction, or is it a substantial expansion of an existing attraction?
- Is it open to the public?
- Is it open year-round or at least 180 days a year?
- Will it be available after 6pm or on Sundays?
- Will it provide a positive economic impact on the community?
- Will it contribute to our ability to attract visitors and improve the overall tourism assets in the Devils Lake area?
- Will this project be covered by media, and/or with the Devils Lake CVB by publicly recognized for participation or support?
- Is it located within the Devils Lake CVB service area?
- Does the organization have not-for-profit status or is a government entity?
- Is this a “bricks and mortar” project?
- Is the project a result of a planning process that has had public involvement? Do others in the community understand and support the project?
- Have the other funds necessary to the project already been raised, or are there well-developed plans for raising them?
- Is there a solid plan to fund the project, ongoing operating costs and maintenance?
- Are there established marketing plans?
- Is there an established management/staffing structure for the project?
To be eligible, applicants must be a recognized 501.c3 not-for-profit or a unit of government. Applicants must also be located within the Devils Lake CVB service area. Privately owned for-profit businesses are not eligible.
- The Devils Lake CVB’s Tourism Development Grant will not be more than 50% of the total project cost
- Project cash match can come from the operating budget, or may be secured from other grants, donors, sponsors, or other sources
- Grant funds may not be spent on local marketing or for operational costs that would be incurred even without the project.
FUNDING OVER MULTIPLE YEARS
The Devils Lake CVB reserves the right to fund projects over multiple years (Not to exceed three years) should the need arise. (Example: An approved project is allocated $30,000. Funds may be disbursed at $10,000 for a period of three years.)
PLEDGE OF SUPPORT
Should an organization be in the fund-raising stage for any tourism-related capital project, and not ready to start construction in the year of the grant application, it is possible to request a resolution of support from the Devils Lake CVB to assist in securing the necessary funding and/or grants. Grant applicants must show proof with written documentation that 50% of the project funding has been secured by the time an application is submitted to the Devils Lake Convention & Visitors Bureau.
March 1 | June 1 | September 1 | December 1
Every grant application will be considered on its own merits, and it is within the Visitor Committee’s authority to approve or deny any grant for any reason, in accordance with the North Dakota State Century Code 40-57.3.
APPLICATION PROJECT DEFINITIONS
NEW CAPITAL PROJECTS
- Brick & Mortar Projects. Funds can be used for:
- Real estate acquisition
- Architectural and engineering costs
- Upgrades, enhancements and/or expansions to existing facilities
PERMANENT EXHIBIT INSTALLATIONS
Funds can be used to establish exhibits that may stay for a period of months or years but will continue to be large tourism magnets or have the potential to generate long-term publicity, bringing new visitors into the area. Generally, these exhibits will be unique to the area or showcase something unique about the area.
HOW TO APPLY
Step 1: Review the Guidelines
Before starting the application process, review the details and guidelines for the grant.
Step 2: Discuss the Potential Grant Project
Schedule a meeting with the Devils Lake CVB, to go over the project details and make sure it is a good fit, before moving forward with the application process.
Step 3: Complete Online Grant Application
Please be aware, grants are reviewed quarterly. Deadlines are March 1, June 1, September 1 and December 1.
Step 4: Review Process
All grant applications will be reviewed based on tourism and operational criteria by the Devils Lake Visitors Committee. During this process, you may be contacted for more information.
Step 5: Grant Decisions are Made
You will be notified by email if your organization received funding, or if funding has been denied.
Need more help?
Contact our office at  662-4957.
DEVILS LAKE CVB TOURISM DEVELOPMENT GRANT ADDITIONAL REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION
Please provide the following required information as an attachment to each application: (Note: incomplete applications will not be considered)
- Proposed budget for project
- Copies of organizations current budget & the past two fiscal years
- Most recent tax audit or copy of IRS 990 form
- List of contributions secured to date (should equal 50% of total project costs)
- List of organizations board members with contact information
- Support letters from governing board, local municipality, and/or community leaders
- Architectural plans, drawings, or renderings
DISBURSEMENT OF FUNDS
At the completion of the project, requests for grant funds shall be submitted to the Devils Lake CVB via a cover letter with summary of expenses, invoices, and copies of checks enclosed.
SCORING SHEET FOR DEVILS LAKE CVB TOURISM DEVELOPMENT GRANT
Scoring sheet for the Devils Lake Tourism Development Grant application is directly related to the grant guidelines and these criteria will be used to assist the Devils Lake CVB in reviewing and ranking applications. (Applicant to also complete using best estimates available. Completing will aid applicant in determining potential scoring.)
Applicant Project is 100% utilized for tourism (check one)
_____ Yes, 10 points
_____ No, at least 50%, 5 points
_____ No, less than 50%, No points
Number of Visitors to the Devils Lake area per year is greater than 1,000 and less than 2,499
_____ Yes, 5 points
Number of Visitors to the Devils Lake area per year is greater than 2,500 and less than 4,999
_____ Yes, 10 points
Number of Visitors to the Devils Lake area per year is greater than 5,000
_____ Yes, 15 points
Days open to the public (check one)
_____ 7 days, 10 points
_____ 6 days, 8 points
_____ 5 days, 6 points
_____ 4 days, 4 points
_____ 3 days, 3 points
_____ 2 days, 2 points
_____ 1 day, no points
Estimated number of annual room nights generated by the visitor attraction (check one)
_____ 1 to 50, 5 points
_____ 51 to 100, 10 points
_____ 101 to 250, 15 points
_____ 251 & up, 25 points
First time applicant
Second time applicant
Third time applicant
Applied four or more times (check one)
_____ 1st time, 5 points
_____ 2nd time, 3 points
_____ 3rd time, 2 points
_____ 4 or more times, 1 point
Grant application completed per grant instructions
_____ Yes, 5 points
_____ No, No points
Percentage of Project Funds raised to date (check one)
_____ 76%+, 10 points
_____ 61% to 75%, 8 points
_____ 50% to 60%, 5 points
Signature of Applicant: I, ____________________________________ have completed this scoring sheet to the best of my ability and that numbers provided are accurate as of the date submitted (Date: _________________________________).